There is a specific pattern on which our body performs. Every action that is not in our control like a heartbeat, breathing, etc require some patter and hormones to follow. Melatonin is a hormone that regulates our sleeping habits and suggests to your brain when to wake up. This hormone is created in a pineal gland found little above the middle of the brain. Sometimes we need to go for some external assistance to regulate the hormone during normal operation. For that purpose, we prescribed with Melatonin supplement.
Here we will be reviewing in detail whether or not you should take these supplements. What are their side effects and benefits? With consultation with experts and some Melatonin supplement users, we come across some facts that we are going to share with you, to help you out in knowing what you are taking.
How does it work
Everybody has different body chemistry when it comes to a medicine reaction. There are different effects of the same medication for different individuals. Melatonin supplements may not work for you. Some studies reveal that it might help you with sleep disorder and delayed sleep issues.
Some researcher believes that the melatonin supplement might help people with insomnia sleep faster than usual. It might help you get sound sleep but necessarily longer. On the other hand, some studies contradict the previously said studies. They believe melatonin does not help in sleeping disorders.
Some facts should know about melatonin supplements. We are going to enlist them all so you can better understand things:
- Start with a small dosage: there are many stores out there that are selling supplements that contain melatonin more than our produces naturally. Specialists always recommend starting with a small dose and see its effects. The council of responsible nutrition suggests that the dosage should not exceed 10mg even though higher dose products available in the market.
- The source should be safe: there is no proof that the maker of these supplements has to show product performance. Certain melatonin supplements might contain a higher or lower dosage that may contain other dangerous ingredients in it. There are some responsible seller and contractors that clearly shows what are the exact ingredients of their products.
- Should be inert with other Medications: you should keep that thing in mind that melatonin might change the way other drugs work. Some specialists said that it affects the efficiency of blood pressure and diabetes drugs. You should consult your doctor before going for a melatonin supplement.
- Be careful when you are having it: yes! Short term use of the melatonin supplement is considered safe. Some people reported that the whole day they spent in headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, or nausea. The specialists also suggested that if you are taking these supplements, avoid driving cars or motorbikes.
- Avoid long-term use of Melatonin Supplement: there are certain limits for the duration for which you are considered to be in a safer zone when having these supplements. It is considered safe for 3 months. There are no studies available that describes either long term usage is safe or not.
- Consult your physician: you should first consult your doctor if you are unable to have proper sleep for three months. Don’t directly go for melatonin supplements even though it helps you. It is better to consults about it whether or not you should take it.
Side Effects of Melatonin Supplements
- If you are using Melatonin for short period, it’s ok to go with. But for a longer period, you should consider some practices as it might effects some of your abilities. You might feel dizziness or sleepiness while working on a day. It also causes stomach cramping and headaches.
- There are some research claiming that Melatonin might be responsible for depression issues and will affect your health in a bad way
- Melatonin might make you more prone to seizure
- Some specialists say that melatonin can affect the immunoresponsivness in your body and will increase the chances of other infections by affecting your immune system
- Women with the menstrual cycle, avoid using these supplements as it might make the bleeding painful and can affect the pregnancy ability