Before introducing you to the best exercises, you should know the basics of what you are dealing with. To help you out, we have already mentioned some of the basics of the quadriceps muscles. Lets see what are quad exercises.
What are the quad muscles?
The quad muscles are also known as quadriceps. It is the four muscle groups that are located at the front of the thigh. Primarily, the quad muscles help to flex and straighten the knee for movement.
Over time, after an interaction with an injury or surgery, the quad muscles become weak. That’s why it is essential to train these muscles for a speedy recovery. Moreover, if you are into the fitness industry, quad muscle groups play a substantial role in building an ideal physique.
Besides, due to some disorders, the quad muscles can also exhibit weakness.
- Patellofemoral stress syndrome
- Iliotibial band friction syndrome
- Patellar Tendonitis
If you suffer from knee joint stress, you can take aid from a physical therapist. Moreover, it’s a good thing to discuss with your doctor at first.
What are the benefits of quad exercises?
The quad muscles are built up with the four muscle groups. That, in combination, helps to participate in multiple exercises. These four muscles are known as;
Rectus Femoris: It is the primary muscle that helps to flex the thigh muscle. This muscle runs from the hip bone to the knee cap.
Vastus lateralis: Among the four-muscle group, it is the largest of four quad muscles. This muscle goes from the outside of your thigh. Vastus lateralis joins the thighbone to your kneecap.
Vastus Medialis: This muscle group is located at the front of our thigh. This muscle helps to stabilize your kneecap and in the extension of the knee.
Vastus Intermedius: In between the other two vastus, you will find this muscle. Moreover, this muscle also helps to extend the knee.
Suppose you are also looking for tips to lose face fat. You can check it out here.
Performing exercises daily promotes smooth extension and flex of the hip. Furthermore, quad exercises also increase the strength in the lower body portion.
- Quad exercises ease everyday movement such as; bending, walking, or sitting.
- Improve body stability and balance
- Enhances the overall athletic performance
- Protect the knee from joint injury
Best Quad Exercises:
Here’s the list of the top quad strengthening exercises. You can also perform these quad exercises at home.
Bulgarian Split Squat:
This exercise is quite similar to the single-leg squat in which a bench or box is involved for support. However, the Bulgarian split squat is an intermediate level exercise used to train quads, hips, glutes, and calves. Furthermore, exercises like these helps to improve side-to-side muscle imbalances.
Follow the steps mentioned below for proper exercising.
- First of all, stand about two feet in front of a bench that is the knee. Make sure the hip should be hip-width apart. While working out, keep your eye and chest straight ahead and shoulders down.
- Place the right foot in the forward position while the left one on the bench. Also, keep your lower back straight to avoid injury.
- Pause for few seconds so that a complete impact be made on the muscles.
- Do three sets of 12-15 reputation.
Squats is one of the most common and highly practiced workout exercises. Moreover, you can even perform with or without weights. The primary purpose of this exercise is to target the glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves. However, while doing this exercise, make sure you follow some steps for proper impact.
- Stand with your feet wide open. After that, if you are using weight, such as using a dumbbell for that, keep arms at your side.
- Move down slowly by bending your knees and squat down until the thighs are parallel on the floor. Besides, while moving down, keep your head and back straight.
- Furthermore, make sure you are properly breathing. The best way is to inhale while going down and exhale while lifting. You are using your heels to lift the body and keeping the repetition to 12 to 15 reps.
This exercise also resembles a lot with the previous training. Yet, if your inner thighs need improvement, then consider doing sumo squats. Unlike traditional squats, this exercise triggers more tension in the adductor muscles. Moreover, you can perform this exercise with or without the weight.
- Make sure your feet are wide open. At the same time, point your toes about 45 degrees outward. This will help in smooth outward rotation of the hips.
- You can also use weight. So, if you are using dumbbells, put them securely on your shoulders. On the contrary, keep your hands straight according to your shoulder height.
- While doing, make sure you engage the core entirely and take a deep breath while moving downward. Perform the sumo squats properly while lowering into a squat position.
- Along with that, if you are doing weight training, take a 1-2 minutes break in between the sets.
Along with working on the quadriceps if you want to burn more calories. Consider adding the step-ups exercise to your routine. Moreover, this exercise elevates the heart rate, which enhances the sweating process. For lower body training, step-ups are the best exercise. Furthermore, this training regime is also among the dumbbell quad exercises.
- Stand in front of a box. At the initial steps, use a lower height box and further move to higher packages. Moreover, the gradual increase affects better during the workout.
- Consider using a light dumbbell if you are starting as a newbie. This promotes better stability and performance. Along with that, keep the arms at your side.
- Take the right foot first at the box. After that, use the left foot to meet it with the right pair. Use the left triggers to step down.
- Keeping repeating the process until you achieve your specified limit.
After certain sets, you might feel comfortable with the regular steps. For that, to make exercises more challenging, consider adding a higher resistance or higher degrees. In addition, you can also increase the speed of reputations. You can also check out some tips if you want to get rid of back fat.
Lunges are a popular exercise in gyms. Yet, you can also perform these exercises in the home just by changing the pattern. For that, you will have to make the jump lunges. This exercise strengthens the quads and glutes and adds a plyometric element to help improve the power.
While doing, lower your body so that the forward leg is parallel to the ground. Meanwhile, the arms will be at your sides. Completely contract your core and lean at the on position. When you jump, switch the role of the foot in between. Hence, you will replace the right with the left.
Moreover, you can also pump your arms in the air. Repeat the sets after taking a few minutes break. At the same time, performing ten jumps on each side.
Are quad exercises being enough to build lower body muscles?
There’s no doubt that exercises play an essential role in building muscles. Yet, to see better results, you must consider adopting a healthier diet. As a result, you will see much better results. To make sure you are consuming enough vitamins and nutrients in your diet. Consider using some of the best vegan calcium supplements.
How many reps and sets should be considering for quad exercises?
At a professional stage, it doesn’t vary much as every athlete has its different course. Yet, as a beginner, you should consider doing a total of 4-5 games, at the same time performing three sets of each exercise with 12-15 reps.
For instance, if you want to add assistance in your exercises. To help you out, we have found the best product for you.
Moulyan Workout equipment:
Almost every quad muscle is trainable to home. However, for beginners, it’s a good thing to consider using a machine. The Moulyan workout equipment we are reviewing is one of the best products available in the marketplace. This machine helps to activate core muscles. As a result, it promotes calorie burning, muscle building, fat shredding, and increase endurance. Furthermore, you can use this machine in three different combinations to perform various exercises.
Along with that, premium quality material is used for the build-up of this machine. So, feel free to use it if you are a little heavy
- Maximum versatility
- High-quality materials
- Multiple combinations
- Activates core muscle
- Sadly none