Shoulder flexion and extension depicts the movement of shoulder muscles with respect to arm movement. Shoulder flexion is the range of motion of your arm from side to the above your head. And the extension explains when you move your arm behind you.
To gain strength in shoulder muscles you can use dumbbells or resistance bands. These muscles are responsible for your balanced weight lifting. If you are having trouble with your shoulder muscles, then you may not be able to perform even bench press.
The front delts and side delts both are important muscles to train. Here we will be guiding you about your shoulder flexion and extension. Why these muscles are important and how to make them strong.
What to do before Exercise
Like any major exercise, you need to warm up your shoulder properly before going for shoulder training.
You can walk or ride a stationary cycle to heat up your body for 10 minutes. Then stretch the shoulder muscles that will you have effective range of motion. It will reduce the chance of muscle soreness and prevent injuries. Here is the warm up guide before flexion:
- Cross Arm Stretch: ease your shoulder, and hold your arm with opposite hand. Pull strongly towards your chest until you feel a stretch. Hold this position for 30 seconds and return to the starting position
- Shoulder Flexion Stretch: stand with wall facing towards it. Place your fingers on the wall and slid them in upward direction until you feel a stretch. Hold the position for 30 seconds and then come back to the initial point.
- Sleeper Stretch: find a flat surface where you can lie down. Bend the elbow of injured arm at 90 degrees with hands facing ceiling. Use your un-injured arm hand to push down your injured arm down. Stop when you feel the stretch. Hold the position for 30 seconds and retrace your original position.
Perform Exercise with Weight
Always take healthcare guide line before going for any exercise that you are considering for yourself. Here is guide to execute the shoulder flexion and extension:
- Shoulder Extension: you need to lie down on flat surface on your stomach. Then hang off your arms on the side. Hold some weight in both hands such that hands should be facing your body. By keeping your arms straight, slowly raise your arms parallel to the ground.
Stop at the point when you feel your arms are parallel to your body. Hold the position for some time and then slowly return to its original position.
- Shoulder Flexion: you need to stand straight by holding some weight in injured shoulder hand. Keep your arm straight and bring slowly the weight above your head. Don’t go beyond the point where you start feeling pain. Also, don’t shrug your shoulder. Hold the position for some time and then slowly return to the initial position.
Perform Exercise with Resistance Band
- Shoulder Extension: you need attach the one end of the resistance band with some non-moveable heavy object. The band should be in level of your chest and then grasp other end of the band with both hands. Step back and try to extend your arms straight. Squeeze your shoulder blade and pull your arm down. Hold the position for 30 seconds and come back to initial position
- Shoulder Flexion: you need attach the one end of the resistance band with some non-moveable heavy object near your foot. Grab the band with the hands with injured shoulder. By keeping your arms straight pull the band up and head back to the point where you start to feel pain.
Avoid shoulder shrug and hold the position for 30 seconds and then retract to the initial position.
Having healthy lifestyle will enhance your mental productivity. You have every single right to decide your health care. Get familiar to your health condition and eliminate all the possible error you may find.
You can also consult your healthcare and get customized prescription. You can also skip the routine whenever you wish. The above information that I have provided is for educational purpose only. Talk to your doctor or nurse whether these exercises are effective for you or not.